Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sarah is coming home.

Once again, I have taken my time to post a blog.

I wanted to post a few weeks ago when I went to the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. I always love that weekend. I did again. My highlights were Royal Wood, Broken Social Scene, Jonny Lang and Buckwheat Zydeco. It was an emotional weekend because I wasn't taking very good care of myself. I was VERY tired by the end of Sunday and I couldn't go on any longer. The most emotional point of the weekend for me was on Sunday afternoon when I was trying to settle down on the main hill for a nap. Buckwheat Zydeco was playing and singing, "All we need is peace, love, and happiness." All of the sudden the sound of the voice changed from a 70-year-old black man from the Southern States with an afro and a suit vest - to - an 8-year-old girl from Edmonton. "All we need is peace, love, and happy days." It went on like that for a few minutes and then the little girl was repeating after the man: "Everything is gonna be alright." He then gave her a lecture about her being the future and us adults not knowing how to take care of our world. ... I was already quite tired so I almost started my cry-fest at that moment. I slept 14 hours that night. It was a great weekend and I can't wait until next year.

I was also going to blog a few days ago when I got back home from a 24 hour camping trip. It was great to get out of the city and great to spend time with friends. My highlight of the weekend was looking up at the stars on Saturday night. Wow. (Or "whow", as some friends might spell it.) I should get out of the city more often. My #2 highlight was getting home. I had a little cold and once again, I hadn't taken care of myself very well. I ate and ate and ate and ate and felt like crap by the end. I slept pretty well that night and enjoyed work and life the next day.

Today I'm going to blog because I feel delightfully melancholy. Besides being really tired, here are some other reasons for my mood:
  1. I spent 3 hours making a pinata over the last 2 days, only to have it smashed into pieces with a broom stick.
  2. At a staff party today I talked to one of my favorite co-workers who's lover of 7 years is moving to Toronto on Friday. His heart is heavy with that.
  3. After the staff party we had another staff party to say good-bye to another one of my favorite co-workers. He's about 70 and he was great to have around. His name is Ken, as was my paternal Grandpa's name, so I called him "Grandpa Ken".
  4. On my way home I saw a beautiful teenaged girl holding hands with her really petit old grandma as they were crossing the street downtown. They looked like best friends.
  5. One block later I saw a 10-year-old boy holding hands with his 4-year-old sister so that she would be safe getting back onto the sidewalk from the crosswalk. They were both wearing awkward pants with rubber boots. I wish I had had a camera to take a picture of it.
Sarah is coming home tonight and she'll be here for good. It will be nice to have her home.

4 comments:

s$s said...

You posted! I had almost given up on you.

Brett said...

I agree with you about the camera. I always see cute old people doing cute/strange things in the street and i always forget the camera.

Sarah said...

hey, i just read this today, a few weeks too late.
thanks

Anonymous said...

Great work.